Friday, February 03, 2012

Where does Google + stand between twitter and facebook?

Facebook has nearly killed Orkut. Google Buzz died. I have been using Google+ for a few months now.

Facebook has connected innumerable long lost friends and classmates, although various social networking sites tried to achieve the same in the past and failed. Facebook succeeded; call it a hard work, vision or luck, it succeeded. People hate to use more than one service for the same purpose. If G+ is trying is pull people out of Facebook and join G+ in bulk, they are most likely to fail miserably. I am trying to guess that this is not the intention of the G+ team.

Twitter is all about catching the news around the world in one liners. Its also about time-pass chats (whats up twitter world? etc), gossiping (Shahrukh Khan slapgate etc), pulling legs of each other, and joking at life.


G+ platform is interesting. It is trying to connect REAL people who may or may not know each other, but share common interests. 

G+ is full of circles. Building your circle and posting in that circle makes more sense than posting everything in public.For example, as a radiologist, I do not want to post something related to radiology in 'public', but post it in 'radiology circle' to have a more meaningful closed communication. All my Kannada related thoughts will be posted only to 'Kannadigaru' cirlce. 

But we need a large number of active people who carefully select what to talk where? What to share where? 

Will G+ succeed? So far, my experience is not that good. Very few people are active on G+. 

3 comments:

  1. Sir,

    I have not tried twitter yet. For me Facebook is more friendlier than Google +.

    Posting status, comments, photos and sharing fb made easier!

    Only one thing I thank Google + is, I met u there!

    Pl. Visit my blog too. Your comments on my poem ಪ್ರಶ್ನೆಗಳು?, corrected me a lot. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't found anything good on Google+ other than Hangout, which we are successfully using for the rehearsal of a play; For all other interesting things, there is Twitter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Google + has got its work cut out. Facebook and twitter are way ahead in the race. As you say I am not sure where G+ will fit in. My guess is that G+ will be scrapped too. And Google is starting to become nosier too. Their updated privacy policy and T&Cs are the evidence. I would like to see G+ succeed but somehow I cannot be optimistic.

    ReplyDelete